If you’re in the market for a high-end timepiece, it’s important to make your purchase from a reputable authorized dealer. Buying from a manufacturer-authorized retailer ensures that the timepiece you buy is new, genuine and covered by the manufacturer’s warranty, and that all the information you’re given about the timepiece is accurate.
You may be tempted to purchase a discounted watch on what’s called the “gray market” — a store (either online or brick and mortar) that is not an authorized retailer of that particular watch brand. When you buy from an unauthorized dealer, you have no way of knowing when the watch was made and what may have happened to it before it made its way to you.
An authorized retail channel, on the other hand, works like this: A brand manufactures watches, which are sold to official distributors throughout the world. The distributor then sells the watches to authorized retailers, which sell the watches to retail customers.
When you purchase a luxury timepiece from an authorized dealer, you can trust that you are purchasing a new watch — one that has not been stolen, has a serviceable warranty and runs no risk of being repossessed.
An authorized agent provides:
- Physical interaction with the timepiece — you can handle and try on the watch before you buy it
- Easily comparable models/brands
- Superior customer service and quick answers to questions
- Coverage of a manufacturer’s warranty
- Immediate gratification
- Complementary sizing done correctly with watch purchase
- Faster after-sales service
- A personalized buying experience and a relationship with the agent
- Access to manufacturer-authorized servicing. If you bring a watch purchased from an unauthorized dealer to be serviced by an authorized dealer, they will be unable to service the watch.
How can you tell if you’re working with an authorized dealer?
The majority of online dealers are offering grey market pieces. If a watch is offered at a discount you are most likely looking at a grey market timepiece.
The bottom line is: If you’re going to invest in an expensive timepiece, you should do so from a reputable, authorized dealer, like Eiseman Jewels.
To shop our incredible selection of authorized luxury timepieces, visit Eiseman Jewels at NorthPark Center in Dallas.